Archive for March, 2009
obskura is turning 11111 next Caturday, which is a good reason for a party :)
It’s at my house on Caturday, March 28th. Let me know if you need the address or directions.
17:00-20:00: family friendly time, since a lot of you have kids now. Show up hungry if you like – we’ll have plenty of food (and feel free to bring something to share.)
20:00-late: debauchery, Serious Drinking, etc.
BYOB or drink mine. It’s all good :)
Note – there is a cat that lives here. Bring/take allergy meds if you need ’em.
Feel free to bring friends and wellwishers!
Today, I got an Airport Express because I wanted to play music from my computer on the speakers in my bedroom (without dragging the computer in every time.) The complete setup process:
- Took it out of the box, plugged it in.
- Found the "Airport Setup Utility" already installed on my MacBook and ran it.
- It disconnected me from my house wireless network and connected me to the new Airport (after warning me first.)
- Answered a few easy questions. It automatically knew the name and password of my wireless network to connect to (staberinde and aslan if you’re in the area and need wifi.)
- It reconnected to my network.
- Went into iTunes. Selected the new Airport from the speaker selector at the bottom of the window.
That’s it. Can you imagine anything like that ever being so easy under Linux or Windows?
It’s not perfect – there’s a 33 character limit on the password that they didn’t tell me about (normally, all my passwords are random 36 character strings because it’s not like I have to memorize them anyway) – but all in all, Apple wins serious Just Works(tm) points on this one.
Last Caturday, walking back to obskura‘s after a party:
<scjody> I’m kinda hungry. Is there any good food around here that isn’t Dad’s?
<obskura> There’s a pizza place up ahead.
<scjody> That sounds good. Is it the kind of place where I can get une pointe? Um, uh, I mean a slice. Couldn’t remember the English word.
Robin and I are having a party on her birthday: March 28. If you read this, you’re probably invited. Details and a proper invitation to follow :)
I’m doing the CN tower stair climb this April 18… Let me know if you’re interested in joining in. Infos here, and you can sponsor me by donating to the World Wrestling Federation if that’s your kind of thing. (Tax receipts for donations of $20 or more.)