Posts tagged oktoberfest
Quick update from Amsterdam (yeah, you read that correctly):
- Oktoberfest is fun – everything I expected. I found friendly Australians and Germans to drink with, etc.
- I drank far too much on Tuesday. I lost count, but my best guess is 7-8 litres of beer. I didn’t think that was even possible for me. On my way to a nightclub with some locals, I got sick, left the train, then eventually took a different train home. In the rain.
- On Wednesday, I woke up with the worst hangover of my life. In a slightly leaky tent, in the rain.
- Sigh. Rain.
- Eventually dragged self to downtown Munich in the rain, bought food and an umbrella, read book in a cafe.
- Thursday: still not 100%. Wandered around Munich, bought a train ticket, took a few photos, went to Oktoberfest for a few hours. Night train to Amsterdam, because it’s not raining here and beds on trains are dry.
So there you go :) More interesting entry to follow when I don’t have a city to explore and coffee shops to evaluate.
My employer is being bought by Sun Microsystems. Overall, I think this is a good thing. I know Sun hasn’t been the best Linux / Open Source player, but they have done a lot of good when you look at it. We’re going to be part of the systems group, whose mission is basically “Sell Sun hardware – we don’t care what it runs.” So we’re not going to be dropping Linux support any time soon, and the acquisition should free us up to work on Lustre more. I was in SFO about a month ago to meet with Sun (it was a secret at the time) and the environment there seems very positive towards CFS and what we’re doing.
In other news, I’m going to Oktoberfest from September 24-30. I should still be able to make tree climbing and baprime and mricon‘s reception. Surprisingly, a few cheap plane tickets were still available as of this morning, and I’ve found a couple of campgrounds that are a short train ride from the festival grounds.
Why this trip? Well, for the past few weeks, I’ve had a growing desire to “go somewhere, do something.” On Monday especially, I could hear aircraft fairly loudly from my office and I kept thinking “Why am I not on that flight? Where’s it going? Is that the direct flight to Munich?” Also, the deciding factor was yesterday, when I found out CFS is buying out our vacation (which I’ve been hoarding) so I have to use it or lose it :) Anyway, I like doing things at the last minute. This should be fun!